Slugify Your Page Title
Slugs make the URL more user-friendly and visitors know what to expect when they click on a link. Slugs should be short and concise and contain the words that help with your target keywords. A slug is a part of a URL, which usually describes the article. It is the section that comes after your domain name in the URL. It's a combination of words or a simple phrase that defines the actual meaning of a link with all the unnecessary words and symbols removed.
The slugs help site owners replace the weird data; or codes that signify a category, folders, titles and attributes of a product in an predetermined arranged form. In order to make a URL search engine optimized and user friendly, slugs are added at the end of it and any ID or ambiguous letters are removed, either manually or through an automated task. It assures search engine visibility and user likelihood to click a link that is shared over a social platform or sent through an email newsletter.
SEO Friendly URLs
A slugify function converts any unrecognized characters into it's normal encoding character to create a "normal" URL. It converts special characters such as Á to A, ü to u, etc. to generate a simple URL.
When creating a slug from your post or page title, they usually follow a few rules:
- Convert to all lowercase.
- Spaces are replaced with dashes.
- Special characters and symbols are removed.
- Remove the stop words – I, a, about, an, are, as, at, be, by, in, is, it, of, on, or, over, that, the, this, to, was, what, when, where, who, will, with, yours
Example of clean url:
Search engines will not index common words so that it can save time on both crawling and indexing.
Why Are Slugs And Permalinks Important?
Three considerations when generation SEO friendly URLs:
- URL slugs are important for indexing and you should write your URL for it to be easily understood by people. The URL of each page is indexed by the search engines and it follows that the search engines give attention to the URL slugs.
- URL slugs are important for ranking and you should write your URL for the search engines. Search engines factor in the URL slugs as it is used when ranking the web page for a certain specific keyword/keyphrase or search terms.
- Before publishing, make sure your URL is well-optimized for both readers and search engines alike.
- URL slugs are important for ranking and you should write your URL to rank well for your keywords or key phrases.
A frequent SEO issue is the use of poor URL structure, which in turn can have a negative impact on a page ranking. Automatically create seo friendly slugs like WordPress for your pages. Not all websites owners can optimize their URLs. However, webmasters should make an effort to publish URLs that are easily read by humans.
URLs are an important aspect of optimizing your website for internet search engines and web crawlers. By crafting SEO-friendly URLs you can expand the reach of your web site through organic search results and attract new traffic via search engines.