Is jQuery Still Relevant?
Junior developers will find it very easy to start using jQuery to manipulate the DOM. It is especially popular among amateur web developers and junior front-end coders. These software developers find that jQuery API provides an elegant and intuitive way to work with the DOM. For many coders, at various levels, jQuery provides a platform to normalize the DOM. Write the code once and let jQuery figure out the nuances of the different browsers for us. jQuery makes it easy to locate your DOM elements, filter what you need, inspect the DOM, manipulate it, and add behavior to the elements.
I find jQuery particularly useful when building prototypes, especially when paired with Bootstrap or a Bootstrap theme template. None the less, jQuery is suited for any type of app because of its general purpose nature and as such can be used everywhere or a wide variety of devices and platform. Nowadays, it best suited to add behavior to web site rather than web apps. Web applications tend to be a bit more complex with ever increasing functionality and features. As such, it needs to be built with a high degree of separation of layers and components and a well thought out architecture.
Compress JavasScript files and your jQuery files with this coding web tool.
Why Does jQuery Persists?
- Some developers don’t realize how easy doing many of the same things is in vanilla JS.
- It’s baked into certain platforms (like WordPress), so there’s no incentive to not use it.
- Rewriting old legacy code bases is time-consuming and expensive.
- jQuery was an amazing tool. It showed browser vendors a better way to do things.
You May Need To Use Jquery If
It is very important that we choose the right tools for the job and jQuery is still the right tool for the job sometimes. For example, WordPress still uses jQuery, up until recently the bootstrap framework still shipped and depended on jQuery.
- You are working with WordPress or similar content management systems
- The work includes legacy codes or plugins dependent on Jquery
- Your app or website targets old browsers also
- You are used to it, and it makes development a lot easier (but don’t be lazy… it’s always useful to learn other languages)
Technologies like AngularJS, React & VueJS came and they made JQuery look obsolete. People began questioning the significance of the latter. Since one is a library (collection of functions) and the others are frameworks (or framework-like), their use cases never completely overlap each other. A library is good at what it is meant to do and may not be good for what it is not meant for, and vice-versa.
Although it is clear that the library is slowly losing its grounds, it is still relevant.